Friday, April 04, 2008

Garlic Pickle


Back in India We once purchased Garlic pickle ,as both of us like Garlic too much . But some how the taste of that that ready made pickle was such that it made me dislike Garlic for a while :( , at least when ever I saw that jar it didn't tempted me to try it again :v . When I come to hear about JFI-Garlic, immediately I thought to make this :D .
I googled for its recipe :f , but somehow I found none of them up to my liking . As I had pickle masala on hand I thought to make my own version of pickle with garlic . I added the fragrant ingredients of my liking and it turned out the best Pickle I ever had. Here is my recipe of Garlic pickle.


Ingredients:
1 cup garlic cloves( if too big then cut into half)
1/2 cup mustard oil. ( or anyone you like - traditionally we use mustard seeds oil for making pickles)
1/2 cup pickle masala( if you dont have this ready made then follow this simple process . Take coarsly grounded fenugreek seeds(methi na kuriya) ,coarsly grounded mustard seeds( Rai na kuriya) and red chilli powder in the proportion of 1:2:2 . Mix all together with slight hing(asafoetida powder ) and little turmeric powder - pickle masala is ready to use. )
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds(saunf )
salt to taste
Lime juice to preserve .

Method:
In a small pan heat the oil, when little hot first add the garlic cloves, remember to cut them in halves if they are too big. in a medium to slow flame let it fry till it turn yellow to slightly brown next add pickel masala and fennel seeds, salt and coriander seeds to it.
Mix all together very well and turn off the heat. Add 2 tsp lime juice to it. Let it cool and store in a air tight container. You can serve it fresh though this tastes best after 2 days . while storing it check that the proportion of oil should not be less i.e. oil level should be such that garlic cloves should be dip into oil.This way it can be store for a long time at room temperature.
Its simple , easy to make and full of wonderful flavor of fennel and coriander . With all such qualities in a tiny spoon of this pickle I feel it impossible to ignore it :D .

This flavorful spicy pickle goes to Mathy for JFI-Garlic this month. Thank you Mathy for choosing Garlic :) .

14 comments:

Deepa Kuber said...

mouthwatering pickle! nice picure.

sra said...

I love garlic in pickles - we use it in many pickles and I'm always hunting for it in every pickle I come across.

Madhavi said...

Hey Pooja, pickle looks so tempting, very nice pic:))

Plz do visit @ http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

Cham said...

Looks very spicy ur pickle :)

Unknown said...

The pickle loks too good Pooja..

Richa said...

lovely! my mouth is watering just looking at it :)

TheCooker said...

love garlic in pickles.
bookmarked!

Dhivya said...

wow!mouth watering one pooja:)))so yummmmmmm

Madhavi said...

Hi Pooja, thanxx for visisting blog :))

i am trying to put RSS feed since last 2 days on that website but somehow it is not working. Can u tell me how did u put your's ?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....My mouth is watering just looking at the pic :)Nice entry.Thanks for sharing the recipe for the pickle masala.

DK said...

Pooja..I have to tell you - "I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU GIRL"..I have been trying the Garlic pickle for ages but never got that "One" recipe which I like and I am forced to buy the one from the shop..I am so insanely in luv with Garlic pickle and when I saw the title in ur post..I jus wanted to come and HUG you..I am making this today...( I cast a v indifferent look to that half full jar of store bought jar )..will update the result....

Dr. Upendra said...

Puja ji

MAI APKE BLOG MEIN GHUSHA THA JANA GANA MANA KA FULL TEXT/ VERSION KHOJNEY.
Aap toh PETPUJA KA SAMAN FAILAY BAITHI HAIN. VAISEY MUH MEIN PANI AA RAHA HAI, PAR I HAVE MILES TO GO BEFORE I TASTE.

MUJHEY CHAIEY MATRIPUJA (WORSHIP OF MOTHERLAND)

KINDLY HELP ME. I WANT TO READ FULL TEXT OF THE SONG FRONM WHICH JANA GANA MANA HAS BEEN TAKEN.

THANX

Dr. UPENDRA
A JOURNALIST
FROM DELHI

Anonymous said...

hi pooja...u have a wonderful blog with mouth watering recipes!!!!! n the garlic pickle looks temptimg.. :-)

Anonymous said...

creativepooja1.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.